Re: notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13007] Re: notebook
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 00:26:05 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <6n4nt5$ni3 at smc.vnet.net>, SAgca at lnc.com writes:

|>      hi, i have another question. From mathsource.com, i downloaded a
|> file
|>      which explains mathlink. The extension of file is .nb |>      i
am using mathematica in unix, so how can i open this file? |>
thanks

The file you downloaded is a notebook file for Mathematica version 3.0.
You can read the file using the notebook front end graphical user
interface that comes with Mathematica.  Such an interface  exists for
all supported versions of Unix, but the front end  is written for the X
Window system, so you will need to be  logged into a workstation that
runs X or an X server program that runs on your local computer.

If you are accessing the kernel from a telnet session and are  working
on a Macintosh or Windows machine, you can download  a copy of
MathReader, a free (in the sense of beer, not speech) application that
allows you to view notebooks.  There are  Macintosh (PPC and 68K) and
Windows (Win32) versions available.

http://www.mathsource.com/cgi-bin/MathSource/General/MathReader/0208-707

If MathReader is not a viable option for you, I believe that there is a
PostScript version of the MathLink tutorial that you can  print with a
PostScript-supporting printer.

http://www.mathsource.com/MathSource/Enhancements/MathLink/0206-693/ML_Tut.ps

--
P.J. Hinton