Re: eps mathematica fonts/latex

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13011] Re: eps mathematica fonts/latex
  • From: Richard Easther <easther at het.brown.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 00:26:08 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 28 Jun 1998, Ross Moore wrote:

> At 3:44 AM -0400 24/6/98, Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:
> >I wonder if anyone has experience getting mathematica 3.0 fonts into an
> >eps file suitable for inclusion into  latex2e.  (I found a fix on
> >wolfram's site to handle the incorrect eps bounding box problem with
> >3.0 ps header file.) I managed to get the eps files included all right
> >into the latex2e file, but the special mathematical characters are
> >lost.
> >
> >ideally I'd like to use some special mathematical characters in the eps
> >file. they need to be embedded in the eps because it'll go into the
> >latex file. hence I can't use their supposed "fix" given on the web
> >site that downloads the fonts to the printer (i.e. doesn't put them in
> >the eps file).

This may be a problem if you want to send the postscript file to anyone
else who does not have the mathematica fonts on their machine, since it
presumably assumes that even if the fonts are not in the document they are
resident somewhere on your system.

> No. There is a much better way to do it than this:
>
>  1.  Do not put *any* font-characters inside the Mathematica picture.
>
>  2.  Load the Xy-pic macros with your latex document.
>
>  3.  Use the  xyimport  extension to import the .eps file, and add
> 	annotations above/below/around/inside/across/... the imported image.
> 	You will be using exactly the same fonts as in the surrounding text,
> 	at whatever sizes you can choose within LaTeX.
> 	(In fact Xy-pic lets you scale arbitrarily, and do a lot more than
> this.)
>
> You can get Xy-pic from the CTAN archives. It is described in ''The
> LaTeX Graphics Companion'' Addison--Wesley, and its own extensive
> reference manual, or:

An alternative is to use the psfrag package, which works by replacing
specific text strings in the epsf file with an arbitrary piece of latex
formatted text (including math characters and so forth).

To give an example, if you want to have the x-axis labelled with "\psi"
you set something like AxesLabel->{"xlab","ylab"} when you generate the
figure, and then psfrag can be used to replace "xlab" with $\psi$. By
default it sits the "latex" text on top of the original text, but you
can also specify an offset, and rotate the text you insert.

Psfrag is also on the CTAN archive, and has been though a number of
iterations - make sure you get the newest version, as previous versions
required you to preprocess the figure files, but now everything happens
when you latex your file.

I  use psfrag with Mathematica generated .eps files quite frequently,
and it has given me good results.

Richard
easther at het.brown.edu