how do I tell math. that expressions are equal?

I have a simple question. How can I tell mathematica that two
expressions are equal? This problem occurs, when dealing with
expressions that do not have a standard form but multiple, possible
forms. I want to define all these forms and I want to make sure that
mathematica's simplification algorithms will use of all possible forms.
(Take for examples odd functions in Sum's: Sum[V[q],-a..+a] with

Thanks for your help

Thomas

Thanks for your help

Thomas