init.m on IBM

Hi:
I'm puzzled at the difference between the way saving packages are
implemented on the IBM and Mac systems.

On the Mac its straightforward.  e.g. if I need to change my Kernel
"init.m" package, I just open it, make the changes and save.  This
writes the new file over the old init.m.

On the IBM things are alot more awkward: 1. I open init.m.  It opens as
"untitled.nb" 2. I make the changes.
3. I must also select the cell, and set  Cell/Cell
Properties/Initialization Cell
4. I must now save the file as "Filename.nb" 5. Shut down Mathematica.
6. Go into the Kerel folder.  Trash "init.m".  Rename "Filename.nb" as
"init.m"

Why is there such a difference in the implementation of saving packages
on the Mac and IBM.  What am I missing on the IBM that would make this
process easier.

Thanks for your help.

Des Penny
Physical Science Dept.