Re: algebraic solutions

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11345] Re: algebraic solutions
  • From: mtrott@wolfram.com (Michael Trott)
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 00:41:04 -0500

In comp.soft-sys.math.mathematica article
<6dk5m0$oam$5@dragonfly.wolfram.com> you wrote:
> Daniel Teitelbaum wrote:

> A quintic equation is hard to solve numerically.

Not really. Using Weierstrass method together with Newton seems quite
easy   to me.

>Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think anyone has >cracked
the symbolic form  of a quintic solution yet.

Hermite, Kronecker, and some other did it about 150 years ago. For
Mathematica implementations of their solutions see

http://www.mathsource.com/cgi-bin/MathSource/Applications/Mathematics/0207
-199

--
Michael Trott