Re: Histograms for 2-D Data ?

Chris Farr wrote:

> Mathgroup:
>
> I have a 2-D list of data.  That is, { {1.5,3} , {2.34,1} ,.... } for =
> example.
>
> Is there a package out there that divides up the XY plane into bins, =
> then counts the number of times the above points fall into the
> different = bins.
>
> I imagine the following picture:
>
> A 3-D picture where the heights at different bins are the relative =
> frequency of the points contained in the bin.  This is just the
> analogue = to the 2-D histogram when the data above is only one
> dimensional.
>
> I tried the histogram package at mathsource, but it seems to only work =
> with one-dimensional data.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Chris Farr

You needn't look so far away as Mathsource.  Graphics`Graphics3D`
contains BarChart3D that will do what you want.  You will need to count
the intervals yourself, however.  This is probably most easily done
with  RangeCounts and the other functions in
Statistics`DataManipulation`.  You will need to nest commands to get
2-D bins.
--
Remove the _nospam_ in the return address to respond.