Re: Simplifying algebraic expr: howto?

Daniel G. Hyams wrote:

> I apologize for the (probable) simpleness of this questions, but I am
> new to mathamatica...
>
> I have an expression (for example):
>
> u*(nx*u + ny*v)     ---- (1)
>
> and a definition:
>
> theta = nx*u+ny*v
>
> How do I get mathematica to simplify the expression (1) such that it
> returns:
>
> u*theta ?
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------- Daniel G.
> Hyams
> email:  dhyams@ebicom.net
> phone:  (601) 323-4198
In this case, use a substitution rule:

u*(nx*u + ny*v) /.( nx*u+ny*v ->theta)

returns

theta u

It appears that mathematicas rather odd canonical order puts the theta
in front of the u.  If that bothers you, someone else will have to help
you change it.  It is possible, but I don't know how. --
Remove the _nospam_ in the return address to respond.