Re: few easy questions

Hi Arturas,

Concerning your first question, the reason Dt[x_]:>1 doesn't work can be
found by examining the FullForm of the rule

FullForm[Dt[x_]:>1]

RuleDelayed[Times[Dt[x],Derivative[1,0][Pattern][Blank[]]],1]

We see that the derivative is acting on the function x_ (which in
FullForm is given by Pattern[x,Blank[]]). I can see two ways around
this. One is to use the rule

Dt[a] /. HoldPattern[Dt[x_]]:>1

The other is to use the rule

Dt[a] /. x_Dt :> 1

as you basically did. The problem with the latter approach is if you
want the rule to depend on the value of a. Suppose you want Dt[a] to go
to some function of a, f[a]. Then you could do the following

Dt[a] /. x_Dt :> f @@ Unevaluated[x]

Is this the explanation you were looking for?

Carl Woll
Dept of Physics
U of Washington