re: mg11400 making MatrixForm the default

     As a newcomer to Mathematica and always irritated by difficult to
use
     software , as I study some of the questions and answers thru
mathgroup
     I saw one about having MatrixForm be the default.   The answer
given
     seems , to me anyway, to come right out of the clear blue sky,
     something that would seem difficult to reason out and absurdly
     complex.  In my own attempt to always make things simpler to
     understand, easier to use, etc.  I wondered why couldnt there
simply
     be a command in Mathematica that just says this:

         MatrixForm/Default

     Compare this to the answer given (basically abbreviated but just
     intended to show all the statements involved )

       MakeBoxes[Function[MatrixQ[Unevaluated[HoldAll[Form[GridBox...and
it
     goes on and on ....]

     I cant help it but my blood simply boils at this kind of statement.

     With Time such an important quantity and math itself  difficult
     enough, why should Mathematica add more complexity to it?

                thanks.   Jerry Blimbaum   US Navy Lab   Panama City
     Florida