Mathematica 3.0 for Linux will not generate color

I am at my wits end. After reinstalling several times, and carefully
reading through every configuartion option in the preferences menu I
can still not get Mathematic 3.0 for Linux to generate color graphics.

The Details

Accelerated X 2.1 using Imagine 128 4MB DRAM 1280x1024 16bpp, so color
depth should not be a problem (the help on X Environment Information
reflects 16bpp as well). If I open up a graphic that has already been
generated, say in the help browser, it appears in color, until I have
mathematica evaluate the graphics command that generated, at which time
it turns to a monochrome gray scale (meaning only one shade of gray
plus black and white).

I can control the foreground and background color in the Notebook to my
hearts content, and style color show up. If I export the graphics to
EPS, using "copy as" the colors are rendered properly in Ghostview.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Craig P Earls                                       LT US Navy, MIT
Aero/Astro Engineering                 cpearls@mit.edu