Re: Re: Mathematica frustrations...

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11664] Re: [mg11612] Re: Mathematica frustrations...
  • From: Mark Evans <evans.nospam@gte.net>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:35:03 -0500

Anyone like YOU who relies that heavily on % and %n is going to draw
bugs like a pile of sugar.

What made Microsoft a gigantic success was their dispensing with the DOS
command line and their giving us some Windows to play with.

I think WRI is seeing the light with the new button and palette features
in Mathematica. Click, click instead of type, type.

I won't argue that % should disappear, but I disagree with the notion
that it can be "absolutely indispensable" or "essential" by any stretch
of the imagination.  IMHO that's just bad programming practice, too
fragile for words.  Add one line of code somewhere in your notebook and
all the %n's break next time you try to run it.

Maybe the new counter systems have a way around that...I would enjoy
being enlightened on the subject.  :-)

Mark