Vectors and Mathematica

I'm really lost here. It seems there is almost NO support of simple
vectors in Mathematica v.3.0
If I want to add 2 vectors of which I have a polar (cylindrical)
representation I am forced to do something like

<< Calculus`VectorAnalysis`
SetCoordinates[Cylindrical]
a={100, -115*Pi/180, 0}
b={200, -30*Pi/180, 0}
A=CoordinatesToCartesian[a, Cylindrical] B=CoordinatesToCartesian[b,
Cylindrical] d=A+B
D=CoordinatesFromCartesian[d, Cylindrical]

and that is a HECK longer to do then by hand. There's got to be
something simplier like:
{100, -115*Pi/180, 0} + {200, -30*Pi/180, 0}

or something...

Also how do I find a magnitude of a vector. The Abs[] doesn't support
this. Sqrt[d[[1]]^2+d[[2]]^2+d[[3]]^2]

is simply hedious!!!

Please help cause I'm really lost ;(

Michael

P.S. If possible, please also send a direct email to
mmichael@idirect.com