Re: Integer designation

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11783] Re: Integer designation
  • From: Bill Bertram <wkb@ansto.gov.au>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 00:25:19 -0500

blimbaum_jerry@ccmail.ncsc.navy.mil wrote:

>      I want to re-ask a question I asked before about designating a
>      variable as an integer.  On page 261 of the 3rd edition of
> Mathematica
>      it talks about making an integer assignment, i.e. "f[n_Integer] is
>      like defining a function f that must take an argument of "type"
>      Integer.   I try this in a function like f[x_,n_Integer]:=Sin[n Pi
>      (x/a)] and then type f[a,n] and expect the answer zero but it just
>      gives me Sin[n Pi].  What have I misunderstood here?

Jerry,

 When you define your function f[x,n] as you've done, the function will
only return a numerical value if the input value of the second argument
is an integer number. If you try to call the function with a
non-integer second argument the function does not return a value. Thus,
when you ask for f[a,n] you won't get a numerical result unless you
have specifically assigned a integer value to n.

Hope this helps.
 Bill