Re: Mathematica frustrations...

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg11794] Re: Mathematica frustrations...
  • From: "Tom Marchioro" <tlm@u.washington.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 1998 00:25:29 -0500

Selwyn Hollis wrote in message <6fd2dj$5ut@smc.vnet.net>...

<snip>

>How about this for Version 4.0:   globals/internals begin with % instead
>of $, and $ replaces cntrl-( and cntrl-) for beginning and ending "math
>mode" (as in TeX). What the hell, why not just use TeX syntax? I doubt
>that Professor Knuth would mind. And it would sure make a lot of
>Mathematica users' lives a lot simpler!

Ha ha ha ha!  That's a good one!  It will never happen, because it just
makes too much sense :)

Seriously, I do not know of a software company that faced with the
choice between doing something "logical" and doing something that makes
old versions of their own software supported transparently would not
choose the latter.  Mathematica is not modeled on TeX, and I'm guessing
never will be.

We can only hope that the Notebook -> TeX and TeX -> Notebook converters
are eventually good enough to make things tolerable.

TLM