Re: ListPlot + Colors

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12206] Re: ListPlot + Colors
  • From: "John M. Jowett" <John.Jowett@cern.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 03:08:55 -0400

(In an exchange of email), Sean Ross wrote:

> Thanks for the information, but I regard the ColorListPlot as inadequate
> as well.  I want full control of color as a function of x,y and z
> coordinates specified in a ColorFunction type construct.  At present,
> the 3-D graphs in mathematica only give that kind of control as a
> function of z.  The 2-D don't give any such options.  ColorListPlot
> progresses through the Hues as a function of the path length of the
> curve.  This is a wonderful step in the right direction, but still does
> not give me full color control.  As soon as I can figure out how to
> write packages and manipulate options, I plan to write such a function.

Sean,
     You can colour the points in various ways by giving an appropriate
ColorScale function as an  option.   It is not difficult to make the
colour depend on a third z value.  Using the sample  data in
ColorListPlot.nb, try

zvalues = (Sqrt[Mod[#[[1]]^2+#[[2]]^2,1]])& /@ data

to get a list of hue values periodic in the radial coordinate of  each
point.  Then you can use

ihue[z_]:=Hue[zvalues[[Floor[1+z( Length[data]-1)+.3]]]]

as a colouring function in

colorListPlot[data,ColorScale->ihue]

This is just an example. zvalues could be any list of  the same length
as data, e.g., the z coordinate of a list of  {x,y,z} values.

In fact you inspired me to make a simple extension of  colorListPlot in
the package.  Now, if you download the new  version of the
ColorListPlot package from

http://wwwslap.cern.ch/~jowett/Madtomma/

construct a list of {x,y,z} values like

data3=Table[{t Cos[t],t Sin[2t],t Sin[3t]},{t,0,7Pi,Pi/16}];

and simply do

colorListPlot[data3]

you'll get a plot where the colour of each point indicates the  z value
instead of its order in the list.  This is now in the Examples section
of the notebook. However using the ColorScale option with 2D data still
provides  more possibilities.

John Jowett
Electronic mail: John.Jowett@cern.ch World Wide Web:
http://wwwslap.cern.ch/~jowett/ Telephone:       +41 22 76 76643
<-----[you can leave voice mail] Fax:             +41 22 767 8480
Postal address:  SL Division,   CERN,   CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland
Location:        Room 1-D18, Building 865, CERN Prevessin Site, France
Secretary:       +41 (0)22 76 75272 or 73076  <-----[changed 12/12/97]