Re: Interesting Simulation Problems....

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12323] Re: Interesting Simulation Problems....
  • From: Seth Chandler <SChandler@Central.UH.Edu>
  • Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 18:52:09 -0400

As Robert Pratt suggested, this problem can also be solved analytically.
One method of doing so is to determine the probability density function
of the difference between arrival times, where the arrival times are
themselves density functions (here called f). If one then integrates
the probability density function of the difference (here called g)
between -1/3 and 1/3, one obtains the odds that our two friends will be
in the same place at the same time. We get the same answer as everyone
else, 5/9.

Needs["Calculus`DiracDelta`"]

f[x_] = UnitStep[x] - UnitStep[x - 1];

g[m_] = Integrate[f[x]*f[m + x], {x, 0, 1}]

Integrate[g[q], {q, -1/3, 1/3}]
5/9

Seth J. Chandler
Associate Professor of Law