Printing and other Front End problems

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12389] Printing and other Front End problems
  • From: "JBeatty" <nhi@netaxis.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 02:05:11 -0400

I've got three odd printing problems.

1. Just what does the Ruler  -  Format | Show Ruler  - measure? I would
have assumed it showed the size for printed graphics. Not so. A 12 inch
(?) graphic fits landscape on 8 1/2  x 11 with room to spare. What do
the little symbols - flags ?  - on the Ruler mean? Can we get a
vertical ruler?

2. Print preview. Does it exist? It'd be real nice.

3. How a graphic in a cell is printed seems to depend on where the
screen is scrolled to. For instance, if the screen is scrolled to the
right to see the right edge of the graphic - I'm printing landscape -
only the right part of the graph is printed.  Is this a feature or a
bug? Is it described someplace in the Mathematica Book?

4. When I begin to execute a complex graph, the focus of the window
shifts to some earlier place in the Notebook.  That is, I press
Shift-Enter and the Notebook window moves up - almost to the beginning
of the Notebook, rather than showing the cell of the graph as it's
being rendered. Can I fix this?

5. Sometimes on printing, I get a second page with part of the graph,
even though the first page contains the WHOLE graph, including the part
shown on the second page.  Is there a fix?

None of these are deadly, but all take time to work around. Thanks for
any help.

Jay