graphics question

Hello Mathematica users,

Here is an obscure question....but I hope someone can help me!!

Suppose I am using Mathematica to create test questions for my high
school math students.  Here is a simple question.

Use the grid below to draw the graph of y = 2x - 4

Now, I can create a really nice grid (using simple grid, available from
Mathsource) and I can easily plot this graph to create the answer, but
is there any way to create a "blank" set of gridlines that will be
identical to the gridlines Mathematica will create for the plot? The
idea would be to provide students with a grid to put their answer on,
and have that match the output Mathematica will create.

I tried plotting the graph with a color of White, but for the observant,
you can see where the invisible line crosses the gridlines!  (connect
the dots and you have the answer!)

Plot[2x-4, {x, -5,5}, GridLines->Automatic]

Plot[2x-4, {x, -5,5}, GridLines->Automatic, PlotStyle->{GrayLevel[1]}]

I would be looking for a solution that would work for more complicated
functions to graph as well, this was just a simple illustration.

I hope that was clear.  Once again, is there a way to get a "grid" or a
set of gridlines that Mathematica would display in creating a certain
plot, but to "hold" the function being plotted.

I appreciate the help provided by this group, and I thank you in advance
for any assistance you might have.

Tom