Mathematica graphics Import

I am trying to import standard graphics files into Mathematica using
ReadList. Mathematica wants only the raw matrix data though. Do I have
to write a simple program to extract the data to a readable (by
Mathematica) format or is there some utilities. Does anyone have an
easier way to do this? Thankyou in advance.

Ray Pendergraph
appeal@mindspring.com