Basic Statistics in Mathematica 3.0

The calculation of ,for example, the mean and the variance of a
statistical  series is staighforward in Mathematica but I don't know
how to do it if,  instead of having the complete list of values of the
statistical variable I  only have the set of diifferent values that
variable takes with their  respective frequencies. I have trouble
thinking Mathematica cannot handle such  a basic task but I can't find
a way to do it.

Massy Soedirman
jcahn@worldnet.fr