Re: Boundary cond. at Infinity

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12441] Re: Boundary cond. at Infinity
  • From: Dustin <dsoodak@virtu.sar.usf.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 11:15:55 -0400

I remember seeing some options somewhere in my help menu or in the
Mathematica Book (I have it on my computer) that allowed some control
over how (or if) error messages are displayed.

The reason you are getting repetitions is that error messages in
Mathematica are recursive.  When trying out new combinations of
functions I often get infinitely recursive error messages!

    It starts printing it out in the notebook then opens up a whole new
notebook in which it prints more error messages.  As the error message
continues to run (in the original and new notebook simultaneously) it
begins to take up more and more processing power until everything but
the message freezes.  I panic and franticly search for the "abort
evaluation " keys ("alt comma" in Windows 95).  After about ten to
twenty seconds of rapid finger movements the "local kernel interrupt"
window pops up and I click on "abort evaluation".

Now, whenever I try something new in Mathematica I move a couple of
fingers to the "alt" and "comma" keys before I even start the
calculation.

Jrgen_Tischer wrote:

> Hopefully nobody will get mad about me, leaving all that stuff in my
> message. The thing is, up to now I was not once able to read those
> added notebooks. Am I alone with that problem? I tried to copy the
> notebook in a file to read it afterwards, I tried to fill it directly
> in a new notebook, the result is always the same. Mathematica is quite
> willing to read and encounters a syntax error in line (in this case)
> 97. And while complaining, a lot of the messages (mine included) come
> out as sancocho (which is a local dish comparable with a stew). And
> lately the timestamps obviously are mixed up, while reading messages I
> get deja vus en masse.

<big snip>