RE: Pagination problems Mathem

Getting the page breaks where you want them is much more difficult than
it  should be.

I have a method that has worked for me under Windows 95, and it may work
under a other systems as well.

 - If I want a page break in the middle of some text, I break the text
into  two cells.

 - To insert a page break before or after a cell, I select the cell.
Then I  select "Show Expression" under Format.  Then the cell looks
something like:

Cell[BoxData[
    RowBox[{"x", "==", "4"}]], "Output",
  CellLabel->"Out[5]="]

At the end of the above expression add the option PageBreakAbove->True,
or PageBreakBelow->True.

Then go back to Format and deselect "Show Expression".

Note:
Only select "Show Page Breaks" when you need to know where the page
breaks  are.
The editor acts very screwy when page breaks are displayed.

Ted Ersek

|One of our faculty members is trying to create a rather complex
document |in Mathematica 3.0 for Windows 95.  He is having some
problems with |pagination. 3 technical support people in the department
have looked at |the problem with no success.  Here are some of the
problems: |
|1) Page breaks are happening at strange places - leaving him with pages
|that are only 1/2 full.  There's no good reason for it, since the
|contents of the next page is simply text, and there's no reason no to
|break it across a page.
|
|2) When 'Show Page Breaks' is checked on, he can see Page 1, 2, and
then |it jumps immediately to 5 for the rest of the 5 page document. |
|3) I didn't try this myself, but apparently my colleagues tried
|inserting new page breaks to see what they could force, but this
didn't |help, and then they couldn't remove the page breaks! |
|Has anybody else encountered these problems?  Is there a fix?  Does
|3.0.2 fix them?
|
|Thanks in advance,
|
|Arunas Salkauskas
|Department of Mathematics and Statistics University of Calgary |