Re: AFM files not found

  • To: mathgroup@smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg12571] Re: AFM files not found
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh@wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 14:24:43 -0400
On 23 May 1998, Pedro Miguel Gameiro Alves wrote:

> When I try to export a plot to a EPS file, for instance, I always get
> the same error: AFM font file not found. These fonts are in my system
> (.../SystemFiles/Fonts), and I get an incorrect output. How can I
> declare this directory to obtain the appropriate result?

When you see these error messages in the Messages notebook window,
exactly what font family (Courier, Math1, New Century Schoolbook, etc.)
is it mentioning?  Mathematica supplies font metrics for the following
font families:

	Math1 - Math 5
	Courier
	Helvetica
	Times
	Charter
	Utopia
	Swiss721BT
	Symbol

If the unfound font is not one of the above, then you will have to
acquire and install the appropriate AFM files in the Mathematica AFM
directory or in /usr/lib/AFM or /usr/lib/afm.  A rather large archive
of AFM files can be found at the Wolfram Research Technical Support
site.  See URL:

http://www.wolfram.com/support/Systems/Unix/FE/MissingAFM.html

for more information.

AFM files are not fonts in the normal sense.  They contain only
information about the size of different glyphs in the font.  The front
end needs these files when generating PostScript so that formatted text
is spaced properly.

If the error message mentions a font that I listed above, you can
forward  details of your problems to support@wolfram.com for further
investigation.   A reproducible example of the problem will be useful
in this case.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh@wolfram.com Wolfram