Controlling default plot size

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14628] Controlling default plot size
  • From: gwinn at ma.ultranet.com (Joe Gwinn)
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 13:46:58 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Many people suggested I try to set the ImageSize option, either by an
explicit command or by use of the Options Inspector.   It's certainly
plausible, but Mathematica 3.0.1 was having none of this.  Mathematica
simply ignored my attempts.  Didn't even have the pleasure of
deciphering an error message in Old Sanskrit.

What am I missing?

Joe Gwinn

Joe Gwinn wrote:
______________________

When recomputing any kind of plot, such as ListPlot[],
ListDensityPlot[], etc, the plot size won't stay as set, instead often
reverting to 2 by 3 inches or so on the screen, at random.  In some
cases, the size shrunk to 0.5 by 0.5 inches.  There doesn't seem to be
any pattern to when a plot will stay the size it was set to (by
dragging the lower right corner), and when it will revert to the
default small size.

________________________

Lets look at the Options Plot has.

In[1]:=
First/@Options[Plot]

Out[1]=
{AspectRatio,Axes,AxesLabel,AxesOrigin,AxesStyle,Background,ColorOutput,Comp
iled,DefaultColor,Epilog,Frame,FrameLabel,FrameStyle,FrameTicks,GridLines,Im
ageSize,MaxBend,PlotDivision,PlotLabel,PlotPoints,PlotRange,PlotRegion,PlotS
tyle,Prolog,RotateLabel,Ticks,DefaultFont,DisplayFunction,FormatType,TextSty
le}

The option you want is ImageSize.  Suppose you want Plot to make a
graphic with a width of 425 (I think the units are printer points) and
height determined by the specified aspect ratio.  The line below will
make that the default.

In[14]:=
SetOptions[Plot,ImageSize->{425,Automatic} ];