Re: Use of the command Display, with ImageResolution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14613] Re: Use of the command Display, with ImageResolution
  • From: "Nicolas B.E. Sawyer" <nbes at eee.nott.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 13:46:45 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I have also been trying to export Mathematica images to Word and have
run up against a number of problems which Display[] seems to solve.

Previously, I've used "Save selection as ..." to obtain PICT and PICT
with embedded PostScript files (Mathematica 3.0.1, PowerMac Performa
6200 running MacOS 7.5.5.). As far as I can remember, the former didn't
rotate y-axis labels correctly and text had a bit map appearence. With
the latter:

i) the bracket of the cell containing the image was sometimes included
in the saved file,

ii) only the visible portion of the image was saved if the containing
notebook opened in a small window and

iii) PostScript errors sometimes occurred when I tried to print.

To get Display[] to work for TIFFs with an ImageResolution -> 300, I've
had to increase the memory allocated to psrender (I used 10 MB but
slightly less will probably do). Psrender seems to just open and close
without generating any file or message if it hasn't got enough memory
and Mathematica may just sit there with "running" appearing in the
title bar.

EPS-TIFF is not given in my copy of the Mathematica book and appears as
EPSTIFF (which doesn't work) in the online documentation.

Is PICT only allowed on a Macintosh and Metafile on a PC? I would like
to generate a PICT on a PC for later use on a Mac.

--
Nicolas B.E. Sawyer

Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, University of
Nottingham,
University Park,
Nottingham,
NG7 2RD.