Re: Single character in Italics. Ervin Doyle;

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14692] Re: [mg14664] Single character in Italics. Ervin Doyle;
  • From: Jurgen Tischer <jtischer at col2.telecom.com.co>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Nov 1998 21:15:49 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Ervin,
have a look at Help, SingleLetterItalics to see when it happens and how
to avoid it. As to your question why it happens: It's a tradition in
mathematical typesetting to use italics for names of variables in
formulas (Knuth developed a special math italic font for that use).
Since variables mostly are given single letter names, it's reasonable
to suppose it could be welcome by the user to have this as a build-in
feature. If you want to know more about math typesetting I recommend
"The TEXbook" by Donald E. Knuth, especially chapter 16 and above.

Jurgen