Re: config. data from internet database

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14733] Re: config. data from internet database
  • From: jim leddon <jleddon at cyberramp.net>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 17:53:38 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

I have a question regarding how to extract and put into a list form,
numbers from an internet science database file that I have already
imported into my Mathematica 3.0 program using "ReadList". The problem
is as follows:

I want to extract from a file named "1997.ADJ" (which is a list of daily
10.7 cm solar flux values for the year 1997), certain columns of
numbers  from the period Sept. 1, 1997 to Dec. 31, 1997 which will form
a list  (time series) which I will use to plot, get a Fourier
Transform, a  power-spectrum, etc..
The file comes from the internet site:
http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/stp/stp.html and is found after getting into
this site by the following steps:

Click "Solar and Upper Atmosph."
Click "Get Data"
 ""     "Solar Radio"
 ""      " Flux"
  ""     "1997.ADJ"

I am at this point where I have read in the file by using the ReadList
function as follows:  ReadList["a\1997.adj", String] My output is a
table of average daily values for each month of 1997 with  a header and
footer section containing comments. I only want to extract the data
values from four columns (Sep., Oct., Nov, Dec).  I've tried using
mathematica functions such as MemberQ, Character,and  Select and have
not been successful.  At this point, I'd really  appreciate some help!
Got any ideas?

Thanks for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from
you.

Regards,
Debbie Leddon