Re: tag on input form

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14908] Re: tag on input form
  • From: paulh (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 17:48:28 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <73bvn5$g2t at smc.vnet.net>,  Atsushi Kita
<atsushi at physics.purdue.edu> writes:

|> When using Input form, the indentation by "tag" key always seems to
give |> only one letter space instead of four. I would like to know if
there's |> a way to make four letter size indentation by tag key.
Thanks.

I am assuming that you mean the "Tab" key rather than the "tag" key.
Moreover, I assume that you are working with a Mathematica 3.0 notebook
front end, and that when you speak of "using Input form" you are
really trying to enter an expression into an Input style cell.

The format type used for Input style cells is StandardForm, which is not
a monospaced formatting system.  Hence, the tab key is of little value.
If you want to have manual control over indentation with the tab key,
you may want to switch your front end such that the default format type
for Input style cells is InputForm, which uses a one-dimensional,
monospaced syntax that allows for the use of the Tab key.  This setting
is altered by the front end menu  command sequence

	Cell -> Default Input Format Type -> InputForm

The scope of this change will be global.  That means all notebooks will
be entered as InputForm rather than StandardForm when you create new
Input style cells.  A notebook with a privaate setting specified at the
notebook level will override this setting.  The option is  stored in
the following manner:

	CommonDefaultFormatTypes->{"Input"-><format type here>}

If you need further clarification, or if I have somehow misunderstood
your question, please let me know.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram Research,