memory

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14206] memory
  • From: Tatyana Polenova <tatyana at chem.columbia.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 03:00:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,
I am running Mathematica 3.0.1 on a PC (Windows 95). Is it possible to
allocate additional memory for the front end and the kernel? How can I
do that?
Another question I would like to ask has to do with large files. I have
a huge data file (text) whose entries I would like to read and use as
input to a program. The file is 100 Mb large. Usually I use the
ReadList command. It appears that the file is too large for the front
end to be handled. Do you have any suggestions as to what would be the
most efficient way to handle huge files like that?

thank you very much for your help
Tatyana Polenova