  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14360] loading packages-followup
  • From: sean_ross_at_pl-04m3 at smtpgw1.plk.af.mil
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 00:29:01 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

     This is in response to my earlier question about why packages I
wrote
     wouldn't load.  The answer is that code written in the 3.0.1
FrontEnd
     and Saved As Special:Package Format is commented out in the save
     routine, thus all packages written in the front end and saved in
what
     appears to be the intended manner have an extra (* at the front of
the
     file and an extra *) at the end, effectively disabling the code.
If
     you remove these in a text editor, the package can be read in and
     everything loads just fine.  I now have two more questions related
     this.

     1) is this placing of extra (* and *) in packages by the
     SaveAsSpecial:Package Format a "feature" or a "bug"?

     2) The kernel knows to search the \ProgrammingInMathematica and the

     \Utilities subdirectories of the ExtraPackages folder.  If I put my

     own subdirectory in the ExtraPackages folder, the Kernel does not
     search there.  Why?  I got around it by appending the path to the
     $Path variable in the init.m, but I am still curious as to how the
     Kernel knew it was supposed to search only those two subdirectories

     but wouldn't search mine even though none of them was listed
     explicitly in the $Path.

     Please respond to rosss at plk.af.mil or seanross at worldnet.att.net as
     no longer subscribe to the mathgroup.

     Thanks,