Re: ListPlot (and many other questions about graphics)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14336] Re: ListPlot (and many other questions about graphics)
  • From: Martin Kraus <mkraus at theorie3.physik.uni-erlangen.de>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 00:28:42 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

David Djajaputra wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If I have a datafile in the following format
>
> x1  y1  z1
> x2  y2  z2
> xn  yn  zn
>
> What is the simplest way to plot it using ListPlot, ie. without having
> to fool around with the ascii file? Should I use other commands to do
> it? The format that seems required by ListPlot really does not make
> much sense to me, though I'm sure people at Mathematica have their
> reasons to do it that way. Any comment on this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> David

Hi David,

you can read the data with ReadList and plot it with ScatterPlot3D (from
the Graphics`Graphics3D` package).

There is an adaption of Tom Wickham-Jone's graphics tutorial in the web,
which
explains this in sections 2.1 (ReadList) and 2.3 (ScatterPlot3D). (The
graphics need Java and some time to load, but can be rotated in
real-time
once they are shown.)
The URL is:

http://theorie3.physik.uni-erlangen.de/~mkraus/tutorial/

The tutorial (or the web adaption) cover most common questions on
three-dimensional
Mathematica graphics (for example implicit plots, the argument of the
ColorFunction,
removing meshes, changing plot style with ParametricPlot3D, etc.)

But certainly it is easier to ask in this newsgroup! ;)

Greetings

Martin