Re: Triangle function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14424] Re: Triangle function
  • From: John Doty <jpd at w-d.org>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 03:32:21 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Andrew Strobel wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Has Mathematica got a triangle function where I can choose the frequency
> and the amplitude?
>
> The function is necessary to describe a voltage source. It must be an
> analytical function.
>
> like this:
>
>   /\    /\
> -/--\--/--\---->t
> /    \/    \

Your function isn't analytic at the turning points: it has no second
derivatives.

The simplest expression is probably:

2/Pi*ArcSin[Sin[t]]

However, this is not very tractable.

More conventional, and more tractable, is the Fourier series:

8*Sum[Cos[n*t]/n^2, {n, 1, Infinity, 2}])/Pi^2

replace Infinity with a suitably large odd integer, depending on the
bandwidth of your voltage source.

You can also transform the infinite series into a rather inscrutable
"closed form" by evaluating the following (try it):

<<Calculus`FourierTransform`
InverseFourierTransform[
  FourierTransform[Sum[8/Pi^2 Cos[n t]/n^2, {n,1,Infinity,2}],t,w],w,t]

This may be good for some purposes.

To adjust frequency and amplitude, multiply "t" by the angular
frequency, and the whole expression by the peak amplitude.

John Doty		"You can't confuse me, that's my job." Home: jpd at w-d.org
Work: jpd at space.mit.edu