Re: Printing Problems under Windows98

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14491] Re: Printing Problems under Windows98
  • From: sch at mitre.org (Stuart C. Schaffner)
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 20:59:10 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 21 Oct 1998 04:20:23 -0400, "JOHN C ERB" <JOHN_C_ERB at prodigy.net>
wrote:

>I recently upgraded from Windows 95 to Windows 98.
>
>When I tried printing a Mathematica 3.0.1 notebook, either the whole
>notebook, or selected cells, I got garbage.  (Epson ActionLaser 1500 &
>HP 560C Inkjet).
>
>I rebooted the system - no avail
>I reloaded Mathematica - no avail
>
>Everything worked fine under Win95.  Is there something different with
>Win98?
[snip]

I have noticed that the combination of Mathematica/HP inkjets/Windows 98
seems to be a problem.  I often find that, after printing from
Mathematica, Windows 98 will later hang during shutdown. I use
Symantec's LiveUpdate Pro, which suggested that I install a driver
patch for my HP printer.  If anything, the results are now less stable
than before the update.  Also, sometimes the printer will hang in
midpage of the first page of a multipage output.  The print monitor
application will show the print job as running . Deleting the print job
hangs the monitor application and usually Windows 98 as well. Generally
I have to use a power-down reboot to get going again.