Use of the command Display, with ImageResolution

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14493] Use of the command Display, with ImageResolution
  • From: Beverly Bradley <beverly.bradley at psislidell.com>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 20:59:12 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Does anyone have an efficient method for generating a high resolution
image of a Mathematica graphic, which can be directly read into MS Word
98 ? Generally, I use the cut/paste approach to move figures into
documents, but in this case, I am working on a very large Word
document, and would like to have only Word active (as opposed to both
Word and Mathematica.)  I would also like to be able to save ANY figure
as a stand-alone file, to simplify passing projects results to other
scientists.  SO -

I am using a Macintosh 8500 with 128 Mb memory, and Mathematica version
3.0.

I have tried using the following:

   graph = Plot [Sin[x], {x,0,20}]
   Display["sinplot.tiff", graph, "TIFF"]

This produces a TIFF file on my computer, at a default image resolution
of 72 dpi.  Then I tried to improve the resolution, using the
following:

   Display ["sinplot.tiff", graph, "TIFF", ImageResolution ->200]

This locks up the computer, crashes the operating system, and does all
sorts of other undesirable things.

I have also tried ImageResolution values of 100, 300, etc., to no avail.
However, the ImageResolution value of 72 DOES work.   Obviously, I
don't understand this command as well as I thought.  Can someone tell
me what I am doing wrong ?

Beverly Bradley
beverly.bradley at psislidell.com