More Page Break Problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14520] More Page Break Problems
  • From: siegman at ee.stanford.edu (AES)
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:33:17 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I continue to have frustrating page-break battles with Mathematica (3.0,
Mac, OS 8.0).  Typical example:

*  There's a plot which comes in the middle of page 5.

*  It's followed by a short Subsubsection which comments on the plot,
   and which I want to keep on the same page..

*  Then there's a new Subsection heading which starts a new topic,
   and which I want to force to start a new page..

That is, I want the Subsubsection to stay on page 5, below the plot
(where there's plenty of room for it), then the Subsection to start on
page 6 (even though there's enough space for it at the bottom of page
5).

Left to itself, there's enough room on page 5 so that Mathematica
paginates with both the Subsubsection and the Subsection heading on
that page, below the plot.  So, I've put "PageBreakAbove->True" in the
Subsection cell.

But that seems to lock me into a situation where the screen display
(with "Show PageBreaks" turned on) shows a standard (but unnecessary
and unwanted) page break below the plot and above the Subsubsection
(not the Subsection), and then immediately another forced page break
just below the Subsubsection and above the Subsection.   In other
words, the three-line Subsubsection is on a page all by itself (on
screen).

And when I print it, this three line Subsubsection prints *twice*, at
the top of two successive pages (6 and 7), pushing the Subsubsection
heading to page 8.

I've examined the cells; I don't see anything odd in any of them.

Not the first time things like this have happened . . .

siegman at ee.stanford.edu