Re: spaces in notebook

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14567] Re: spaces in notebook
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 03:07:37 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 29 Oct 1998, David Wright wrote:

> Even when using a monospaced font for input in the mathematica notebook
> interface, the width of a space (" ") is not equal to the width of the
> other characters.  This is apparently not a problem of the font, as the
> width of a space is properly the same as that of other characters when
> the font is used in other applications.  This behaviour is most
> annoying and makes for reduced legibility; is there any way to fix it?
>
> I am using the notebook interface of Mathematica 3.0 for Macintosh.

If you have access to the online documentation for Mathematica 3.0,
paste the following expression in a notebook and evaluate it.

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["MainBook",
  {"2.8.11", "11.29"}]]

This gives a brief explanation for the behavior you're observing and
some options for adjusting spacing widths in various ways.

Specificially, I think you'll probably want to set AutoSpacing to be
False for the StandardForm format type.  To do this, you'll need to
edit the notebook's style sheet.

Instructions for doing this can be found in the online documentation as
well.

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["OtherInformation",
  "Introduction"]]

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["OtherInformation",
  "Editing Shared or Private Style Sheets"]]

FrontEndExecute[FrontEnd`HelpBrowserLookup["OtherInformation",
  "Changing Cell Options"]]

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram