Re: how can i save a text from noteboook ?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13891] Re: how can i save a text from noteboook ?
  • From: bruck at pacificnet.net (Ronald Bruck)
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 02:55:28 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <6simc0$4f0 at smc.vnet.net>, jordir at alaba.fib.upc.es (Jordi
Renye) wrote:

:i want to save only the text of a notebook, because i have disk space
:limitations.
:
:anyone knows how?

This is a function of the front-end, I believe; "Save as Special" on the
Macintosh, and I'm sure something similar on Windows and UNIX (I'm too
lazy to fire either one up).

But all this does is strip out the graphics--which can be very
space-consuming, to be sure.  The notebook itself **IS** a text file;
try reading it with your favorite text editor.  But be very careful
about modifying anything, because Mathematica is VERY sensitive.  (I've
lost more than one file by a corrupt Save, and I see many more such in
our lab.)

WHATEVER you do, DO NOT save a notebook to a floppy disk!!  Under 2.2,
at least, Mathematica didn't check whether there would be enough room,
and crashed if there wasn't--losing everything.  I tell my students to
"Save as Special" to the hard disk, then copy that small(er) file to
their floppy.

"The computer ate my homework" CAN be a valid excuse.

--Ron Bruck

--
Now 800% ISDN from this address
(2B ISDN with 4x STAK compression--NOT!)