Re: Structure modification and related questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13890] Re: [mg13857] Structure modification and related questions
  • From: Jon Prudhomme <prudhomj at elwha.evergreen.edu>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 02:55:27 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,

A.1)	You should be able to alter parts of a list x  by using x[[3]]=0;
I have never had any trouble with that.

In[1]:= x=Table[i,{i,4}]
Out[1]= {1,2,3,4}

In[2]:= x[[3]]=0
Out[2]= 0

In[3]:= x
Out[3]= {1,2,0,4}

A.2)	The function ReplacePart[list, newelement,position] will replace
the  element list[[position]] with newelement.

In[4]:= ReplacePart[x,5,3]
Out[4]= {1,2,5,4}

A.3)	Structures with variables in them like x={1,y,4} will change when
y changes.

In[5]:= x[[3]]=y
Out[5]= y

In[6]:= y={2,3};x