FindMinimum

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13968] FindMinimum
  • From: Christian Keysers <ck6 at st-andrews.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:06:57 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Dear All,

    I am trying to fit gaussians to data using the FindMinimum function.
The problem is that in some case, the error function that I try to
minimize as a function of the mean and standart deviation of the normal
distribution keeps going down with m and s increasing. The error only
becomes marginally smaller, but FindMinimum keeps trying larger and
larger values. How can I tell it that if the error only changes in
steps smaller than 0.001, it shouldn't bother going on? I know there
are two paramaters AccuracyGoal and PrecisionGoal, but they are not
explained in the book. Does anybody know more?

Christian Keysers

School of Psychology
Univ. of St Andrews
Scotland KY16 9JU