Mathematica Access to Files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13974] Mathematica Access to Files
  • From: Silvia Heubach <silvi at nospam.cinenet.net>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 15:07:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi All,

I have developed some packages for my classes, together with palettes
and helpfiles explaining the functions. I would like the palette file
to be listed under the Files -> Palettes menu and the helpfile
permanently show in the Files -> Notebooks menu. I also want to load
the packages , say DDS1.m, with just the command <<DDS1`. I know how to
do this all manually, but since I need to install these files in
several labs, and possibly have to update them, I would like to find
out whether there is a mechanism to do this automatically. The ideal
would be to have a folder, say Math 254, at the desktop level, into
which all the relevant files are loaded. Then there would be a script
that tells Mathematica when it starts up to look for the Palette files
and Helpfiles, as well as packages in this folder, and move them to the
appropriate places. Is this possible?? Is there an equivalent of the
init file in C?

Any help and ideas welcome - please email to silvi at cinenet.net directly,
as my newsgroup access is currently somewhat limited. Thanks in
advance,

Silvia Heubach