Re: EPS format problems

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14049] Re: EPS format problems
  • From: Jean-Michel Barbet <Jean-Michel.Barbet at subatech.in2p3.fr>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 03:50:32 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Carles Serrat wrote:

> Does anybody know how to properly convert a graphic to EPS format? I can
> do it, but the EPS file does not seem much the original graphic when
> seen from a EPS graphics visualizer, specially in the labels were I use
> greek letters and so.
> Also, is there the possibility of just the PS format in Mathematica 3.0?

The greek letters included in EPS files require the Mathematica fonts
to be available to the visualizer (and the printer for printing).
Solutions are :

a) include the Mathematica fonts in the Postscript file.
   I do not remember if this is valid for EPS files and the
   fonts are copyrighted, which may be a problem if you are
   going to export the Postscript file containing the fonts.
   See :

   http://www.wolfram.com/support/FrontEnds/Printing/FontsInGraph.html

   If the EPS is to be included in a LaTeX document, make the
   fonts available to LaTeX and reference them in the reamble.

b) Make the Mathematica Postscript fonts available to the
   visualizer. I did it once for XDVI.

c) For printing only, you can download manually the Mathematica
   fonts in the printer.

d) Forget greek letters and set FormatType to OutputForm
   in Mathematica :
   http://www.wolfram.com/support/Graphics/NoMathFonts.html

Jean-Michel BARBET                    E-Mail: barbet at subatech.in2p3.fr
Laboratoire SUBATECH Nantes France    Tel: +33 (0)2 51 85 84 86
CNRS-IN2P3/Ec.des Mines/Universite    Fax: +33 (0)2 51 85 84 79