Font problems on X-Windows

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg14059] Font problems on X-Windows
  • From: "R. Lopez-Aleman" <lopez at phys.psu.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 03:50:40 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I am running Mathematica 3.0 remotely on an IBM UNIX terminal from an
SGI workstation using X-Windows. I invoke the command <xhost +> on my
terminal, and then telnet to the host and run the <setenv DISPLAY []>
command so that the windows are displayed on my terminal. Then I run
Mathematica 3.0  It runs fine, except that the fonts are weird.  While
starting, it gives me an error that reads: "The Mathematica fonts are
not properly installed in your system.  Without these fonts, typeset
mathematical expressions cannot be displayed properly"

    Has anyone encountered this before?  Some characters look fine,
while others (Math operators and greek letters, for example) are
garbled.  Do I need to install a Mathematica font set locally on the
IBM station serving as an X-Windows terminal, and where do I get it?
Any insight into my problem would be much appreciated.

    thanks,

  Ramon Lopez-Aleman       Physics Dept
     Pennsylvania State University
111-D Osmond Lab  email: lopez at phys.psu.edu