Re: Help needed with List!

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg16934] Re: Help needed with List!
  • From: "Allan Hayes" <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 02:32:38 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

<alvaroo at my-dejanews.com> wrote in message news:7ec5kg$cu2 at smc.vnet.net...
> Sirs Probably these are FAQs but I am new in this newsgroup and I have not
> been able to solve them. I use Mathematica 3.0:  (i) I need to convert a
long
> integer number in List format. For example if I had the number 123456 I
need
> to convert it into {1,2,3,4,5,6}:  Is it possible with an instruction?
And,
> (ii) I need to delete from a List A the common elements with other List B:
> for example if A = {1,2,3,4} and B = {1,2} I need to delete by an
instruction
> the elements 1, 2 of List B from List A to obtain List C = {3,4}.  I am
> working with integers with 10.000 digits or more so you can appreciate how
> helpful for me it would be to solve these questions.  Thanks in advance.
> alvaroo

Alvaro:
(i)
IntegerDigits[123456 ]
    {1,2,3,4,5,6}
and back
FromDigits[%]
    123456
But note
IntegerDigits[-123456 ]
    {1,2,3,4,5,6}
Sign[-123456]
    -1
We can also use
Characters[ToString[-123456]]
    {"-","1","2","3","4","5","6"}
and back
StringJoin@@%
    "-123456"
ToExpression[%]
    -123456

(ii)
A = {1,2,3,4,3, 2} ;B = {1,3} ;
If you will allow ordering and removal of duplicates
Complement[A,B]
    {2,4}
if not
DeleteCases[A, Alternatives@@B]