Numerical calculation of derivative functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17000] Numerical calculation of derivative functions
  • From: L B Venema <lvenema at kvi.nl>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 02:13:35 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Probably this question is very trivial, but can someone inform me
how I can force mathematica to calculate the numerical result from a
previously evaluated formal solution, like

f[x_]:=D[sin[x],x];
f[x]/.x->1
Also N[%] is not more specific than D[sin[1]].

I think the problem is related that I cannot force Mathematica to first
evaluate the differential and subsequently substitutes the x by 1 in the
cos. (My real problem involves unknown dimensions of arrays in a non-linear
optimization problem).

Thank you for your help,
Lars Venema