Re: Re: Eigenvalue Problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17051] Re: [mg16991] Re: Eigenvalue Problem
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 02:12:00 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 1:17 PM +0800 13/4/99, Andrzej Kozlowski wrote:

>I do not think this problem is essentially to do with roots of equations.
>Or rather, there is a deeper underlying problem. It is Mathematica's
>inability to recognize certain complex expressions as real.

Perhaps ...

But to me, the most elegant and general solution to problems of this type
is to work with Root objects anyway and, except for trivial problems, an
explicit formula in terms of radicals is no more enlightening.

In ftp://ftp.physics.uwa.edu.au/pub/Mathematica/MathGroup/RealRoots.nb I
have included a bit more on using Roots (following on from Dan) which I
hope makes this clearer.

Cheers,
	Paul