Propositional Logic

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17136] Propositional Logic
  • From: vassone at hotmail.com (Simon)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 03:35:22 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Could someone please explain the following to me please.....

The truth table for the conective  '-->' is as follows:-

p	q	p-->q

T	T	T
T	F	F
F	T	T
F	F	T

Now it says in my book that 'the cat sat on the mat only if all dogs
like bones'. So in other words 'the cat sat on the mat' can only be
true if 'all dogs like bones'

However, in my other book it says  'if (this statement is true) then
(the next statement is true), which is really confusing me.

They seem to contradict each other, as does the truth table.

Any help would be greatly appreaciated...........

mailto:s.vasey at virgin.net