MATHEMATICA GUIDEBOOK

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg17198] MATHEMATICA GUIDEBOOK
  • From: mtrott (Michael Trott)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 01:21:06 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

>Does anyone know if Michael Trott's long-awaited "Mathematica
Guidebook"
>is scheduled for publication anytime soon?

It seems to be my turn to comment on this question.
Let's say the answer is a carefully formulated "yes".

Without going into any details, let me just say that, for various
reasons the publication of the Guidebook---first scheduled (and
actually also announced in some catalogues by Springer )
for September 1994 had been delayed by over five years. (Naming these
reasons wouldn't be fruitful for my relation with the publisher...)

Of course some things have happened within these five years. One can't
release a computer- and software-related book which is five years old. I

have constantly updated, enhanced and expanded the Guidebook over this
time. As a result at the beginning of this year the publisher has
decided to
publish it as three books (each about 800 pages) with the tentative
titles:

V1: Programming in Mathematica
V2: Graphics in Mathematica
V3: Mathematics in Mathematica

If things go well they will be in bookstores in early autumn this year.

I hope that the Mathematica users who have waited for the Guidebook such
long time will find its content, examples, and graphics a kind of a
equivalent for the long waiting time.

Thanks for waiting,

Michael Trott,
Wolfram Research, Inc.