Mathematica profiler?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19010] Mathematica profiler?
  • From: "Roberto Abraham" <abraham at ast.cam.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 13:44:47 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi ---

I'd like to analyze some functions to try to isolate performance
bottlenecks, and I'm looking for a Mathematica profiler.  I understand from
reading various books and by trolling through old posts that at some stage
the legendary Todd Gayley wrote a profiler (which was described in an old
version of The Mathematica Journal).  Is this code available, and does it
work with version 4?

I've located an old post where the code is described as being available on
an anonymous FTP directory at the MathSource site, but the directory is no
longer there and the code doesn't seem to be part of MathSource proper.
Anyway, I can't seem to locate it anywhere.... could somebody point me to
Profiler.m and the associated notebook?

Many thanks ---

Bob Abraham

Roberto Abraham            |  E-mail: abraham at ast.cam.ac.uk
Institute of Astronomy     |  Tel (direct)    +44-(0)-1223-766667
Cambridge University       |      (secretary) +44-(0)-1223-337548
Madingley Road, Cambridge  |  FAX             +44-(0)-1223-337523
CB3 OHA  United Kingdom    |  Mobile                  0467-371014
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know.
 It's what we know for sure that just ain't so."
 - Yogi Berra