RE: Lists to mask other lists

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19102] RE: [mg19022] Lists to mask other lists
  • From: "Ersek, Ted R" <ErsekTR at navair.navy.mil>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:35:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Aram Schiffman wrote:
-------------------------
I am trying to use one list to control the content of a second list.
(It's not really masking, but...)

Here's what I mean. Let's say

maskList={1,0,0,1,1}

realDealList={aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd,eee}

(* could be filled with anything; same # elements as maskList }

If a 1 appears at position n of maskList, then I leave the corresponding
element of realDealList alone. But if a 0 appears, then I want to change
the corresponding element of realDealList in some prescribed way. Let's
say I change those elements to my first name (aram). Then realDealList
would become

{aaa,aram,aram,ddd,eee}

-------------------------

The following should work nicely.

In[1]:=
MaskList={1,0,0,1,1};
realDealList={aaa,bbb,ccc,ddd,eee};
ReplacePart[realDealList,"aram",Position[MaskList,0]]

Out[3]=
{aaa,aram,aram,ddd,eee}

Regards,
Ted Ersek