Re: compiling problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19096] Re: compiling problem
  • From: Paul Abbott <paul at physics.uwa.edu.au>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 01:35:14 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

"Kiran L. Shrestha" wrote:

> Can anybody teach me how to compile a function of several variables which
> are values of other functions.

You cannot do this, i.e., you cannot (efficiently) call an "external" function
from within a Compile statement.

> For example, I have a function
>
> f[x_, y_]:= alpha[x] + alpha[y] - beta[x]/beta[y].
>
> The alpha and beta function values are known. The reason I need to compile
> this function is because I have to iterate this illustrative function many
> many times. Each iteration helps to update the functions alpha and beta.

Perhaps you could post an example of your alpha and beta functions and the
iterative operations you want to perform. Written properly and using, say,
Nest, you should be able to get sufficient speed without compilation.

The University of Western Australia
Nedlands WA  6907                     mailto:paul at physics.uwa.edu.au
AUSTRALIA                            http://physics.uwa.edu.au/~paul

            God IS a weakly left-handed dice player